Sunday, July 20, 2008

Leno over Nightline?

Have you heard that Jay Leno is leaving the "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" show next year? Do you really care?

Frankly, I was happy to hear that I would no longer have to see the man with the huge chin telling bad jokes, and attempting to interact with his guests. I have never really been a fan of Leno.

I wasn't surprised that he announced he was leaving or that the station might be looking for something new to fill his place. What surprised me was to hear that ABC was considering picking Leno up, which could possibly mean the end of "Nightline." Is ABC crazy?

According to a recent article, "'Nightline' is a competitive No. 2 and has increased its retention from ABC stations' late local news from 39% in 2005 to 50%". This has happened while "Late Show With David Letterman" and "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" both saw declines. So why would ABC think that by bringing Leno to the station would boost ratings?

"Nightline" is a daily newsmagazine that "serves as a last word on the news and has its own sometimes serious, sometimes quirky take." I enjoy the show and have for many years. The show is like comfort food for the soul.

I couldn't agree more with the previous anchor of "Nightline," Ted Koppel, when he said, "I think it would be a terrible shame. There are plenty of good comedy shows out there. There are very few thoughtful television programs." Let's hope ABC makes the right choice and remains with a good thing.

No comments: